Car Subwoofer Series: The Best 15 Inch Subwoofers
Are you in the market for the best 15-inch subwoofer for your car? There are plenty of offers available for you when it comes to 15-inch subwoofers. Because of the wide range of choices available, it can be confusing and somewhat overwhelming to know what it is needed and what to look for. But the moment that you already know what is the type and size of subwoofers that you need for your car, the task becomes much easier.
** Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews by click in "Reviews" column, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Below are some of the things that are necessary to take into consideration before buying a subwoofer. Because buying subwoofers are also an investment, you should keep in mind that the boxes are equally important as the subs. As such, you should only pick the right and the best 15-inch subwoofer available so that you will not be wasting your hard earned money for a sub that will not last long to give value to your investment.
Significance of Subwoofers
Who doesn’t love to hear music while driving? Having a good subwoofer will make the difference. It can make the music that you listen to in your car take center stage. The difference between having a good subwoofer is huge. The subwoofer will expand the range of your car’s sound system. When you add a subwoofer, you get that extra bass in your car audio system. The music sound better than never, thanks to the low frequencies that the subwoofer produces.
Subwoofer frequencies have a range that can go as low as 10Hz or as high as 1000Hz. Do keeping in mind that subwoofers with very low frequencies are no longer audible by the human ear. Therefore, it is a waste of money getting a subwoofer with a frequency that’s lower than 10Hz. Subwoofers with higher frequencies give a car’s audio system a full depth of sounds and can transform your audio experience in a unique and awesome one.
With subwoofers, size matters. The bigger the subs, the better bass are produced. Also, the size of the subwoofer that is perfect for you will depend on the type of car that you own. It will not make sense getting a sub that is too big or too small for your vehicle.
Subwoofers have different sizes. Their sizes range from 8 inches to 15 inches. In order to operate correctly, a subwoofer should be mounted to a subwoofer box. The smallest subwoofers 8 to 10 inches can add more depth to your car, and it is needed a less box volume. If your vehicle falls into the category of SUVs, mid-size sedans or hatchbacks, you should consider this type of subs.
But do keep in mind that these types of subwoofers don’t produce bass as good as the 12 and 15-inch subwoofers. If your vehicle fall in the category of pickup trucks, luxury sedans or full sized SUVs and you are a fan of loud noises and the “boomy” sound, then you are better off with a 12-inch subwoofer in the market today.You will be able to feel your car rattle because the sound produced will be stronger than the smaller-sized subwoofers.
However, if you are in the market for a subwoofer that will produce an excellent bass and a massive quantity of sound, then you should invest in the best 15-inch subwoofer in the market today. These types of subs are custom-sized subs, and they are set based on competition because these subs enhance performance and loudness. These types of subs are only made by customization. They are so big in size that some decisions have to be taken into account.
What is the type of vehicle that you have and how are you going to put these subs in are just a few things that you need to look into before you opt to buy a 15-inch subwoofer. Saying this, the bigger the subs, the bigger the boxes will be and of course, the bigger the vehicle that you will need to have.
Car Subwoofers Are Not Created Equal
There are only two types of subwoofers that can be made: a powered type and a passive type. The powered type subwoofers have a built-in amplifier and are fed by a low-level signal passed along an interconnecting cable. Whereas the passive type which is the majority of speakers doesn’t have a built-in amplifier, so it needs to be connected to an amplifier through a normal speaker wire.
This means that it takes power from the car audio itself and this is also the reason why when installing a subwoofer, they are in a suitable box and a suitable place inside the car.
How Do I Set My Subwoofers Up?
The placement, the positioning, the connectivity, and fine-tuning are the important things to consider when you will be setting a subwoofer up. And because a sub can take a lot of space in the vehicle, you have to be prepared to lose some space to gain better sound. It is also important to know if the set-ups for subwoofers are placed in boxes or a mounted tube format.
Usually, the sub will be connected to an amplifier to deliver power through the audio system. You must have a good knowledge in installing subs if you want to do it yourself otherwise, your subwoofers will not function properly. If necessary watch a video first about setting up a subwoofer or get an expert to do the job.
First of all, you have to decide on how much you want and can realistically spend on a subwoofer for your car. After making this decision, find the best in your price range and buy it. You can find great bargains online if you want to save a few dollars while getting the best option available.
Moreover, even if you have the right budget for your car subwoofer, you have to keep in mind these two important things: the size of the sub and the space that you have in the vehicle where you are going to install it. The size of the sub will affect the size of the box, and that can make a difference, not only on your vehicle space but also on your budget. Don’t use the rule of thumb. Always use and follow your common sense.
Top 5 Best 15-inch Subwoofer – My favorites
SWS-15D4 - Alpine 15" Dual 4-Ohm 500W RMS Type-S Car Subwoofer
(Image source: www.amazon.com)
The Alpine 15” Subwoofers are amazing! Like the bulletproof vest, used by the military and the police these subwoofers have a reinforced cone made out of Kevlar. Alpine has enhanced the performance surround with what they call “HAMR” that gives to its subs the ultimate protection.
To keep the control of the subwoofers consistent and reliable they have installed a progressive spider. The installation of this product is very simple and easy, thanks to a 7” top depth. They offer a significantly improved output, deeper bass extension, more control that results in even a greater power handling. If you choose Alpine Subwoofers, you will be very surprised by its sounds. Any heavy metal music will sound amazing with this sub in your vehicle.
- It may seem even greater than expected. It is more Bass in less space.
- You will not need to sacrifice storage space to install these subs, making these an impressive product.
- An incredibly loud and clean subwoofer. You will be turning heads and disturbing the peace.
- Looks very appealing. It is beautiful and shiny with a rubber seal which hides all the screws.
- It is a DVC. You have the option to run it on 4 ohm or 2 ohm configuration.
- Unfortunately, some of these subwoofers are blowing, even when they have the appropriate wattage and ohms.
Is it the product’s issue or it is the consumer’s mistake? This is a perplexing question, because most of the time, all connections have been confirmed to prove that the subs should have worked without exploding. If this is the case, the R series from Alpine could be a solution to try, since it can handle more power.
PYLE PLCHW15 15-Inch 3600 Watt DVC Subwoofer
(Image source: www.amazon.com)
This Subwoofers Pyle is some of the best on the market today under the 15-inch category. It is fair to say that the PYLE has been specially designed from the bottom up to provide quality sound in a sturdy form factor. With a titanium, cone injected polypropylene, subwoofers as they were made to last for a long time. They have a suspension that is made of great rubber so that it will not get tired over time.
With a dome weaving chromium, which is sealed in the basket by a magnet, this sub was made to stay active. These types of the structure provide a booming sound that is just unrivaled. Allen key bolts are holding the subwoofer together ultimately. These 15-inch speakers have a peak power of 3600 Watts. If you're looking for subs that are Loud and Proud, you must give PYLE a try.
- These subwoofers will for sure let out and let go a loud sound.
- Be careful because of their booming sound, they might give you a headache
- Currently, PYLE prides itself on these subs as their “gold standard.”
- Even after 2, 3 or 4 years, consumers have been saying that their subwoofers are still working in perfect condition.
- RMS for these subs is between 350 and 400 thus ensuring great flexibility and satisfaction with this product.
- The components of these subwoofers are manufactured in China and have excellent quality.
- The best parts of these subs are its cosmetics.
Today, many patients are repeatedly used, making products look very alike. These subs are not like the others. They have a design that is unique, making it a fantastic addition to your vehicle. The PYLE system has a great drive that is clearly competitive with other products on the market.
- Buying this product involves a lack of truth on their labeling.
- A consumer mentioned that they had 3,600 Watts in these subwoofers, but they blew ultimately because the wattage was labeled wrong.
To be on the safe side, if you are looking to use these subwoofers, do not max them out, unless you have everything figured out enough to assure it won’t blow. Also, have a professional install your product to make for certain that this does not happen to you right after you buy the product.
Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch 600-Watt RMS 1200-Watt Peak Subwoofer
(Image source: www.amazon.com)
These subwoofers Rockford Fosgate were brilliantly done. Some of its great a features include 2.5-inch aluminum voice coil and its cone area is increased. Rockford patented a system that they call Vertical Attach Surround Technique (VAST), which protects the subwoofer all audio use. With a very flexible design, the subwoofers are able to adjust in order to speakers do not blow up as easily as with the other.
These types of subwoofers have 1200 Watt and an RMS rating of 600 watts rated power. This sub will produce some earth shaking bass and is constructed with an anodized aluminum cone and a vertical attach surround technique. They have stitched the tinsel leads to the spider thereby improving the reliability and performance of the subwoofer.A manufacturer's warranty which is limited to one year gives all customers the opportunity to feel safe with this product.
- The kick these subwoofers give creates the best bass sound that is deep and clean.
- It is an understatement, saying that these subwoofers are a quality product.
- The money spent on these subwoofers will take you by surprise by how good they sound for what you paid for them.
- Rockford continues to make a product that is certified and worthy of successful accolades, thanks to the lessons learn with their past mistakes with subwoofers.
- Rockford Fosgate is able to dissipate heat from the voice coil more efficiently.
- It conforms to the CEA-2031, which means that you can trust the subwoofer to have the capacity to safely handle the continuous RMS power rating.
- If you are on a budget, you will be able to keep on it with these subs.
- The Rockford subs handle very well the low outputs (27-33 Hz) and you will not miss the clarity of their head-turning loud.
- No one or nothing is perfect in this world so there will always be some drawbacks. But Rockford’s only drawback is that they have very poor or no customer service at all. If the subwoofer is returned, there are reports that used subwoofers are sold in poor condition. Unfortunately, these include missing screws, or a lack of refurbishment, for example.In these cases, the prices were negotiable for consumers, what made a lot of people leaving unhappy.
It is better to buy new from Rockford, and do not have to deal with the customer service if you can avoid it.
NVX 15-inch True1000 watt RMS Dual 4-Ohm Car Subwoofer [ VC Series ] 3-Dimensional Die Cast Aluminum Basket [VCW154]
(Image source: www.amazon.com)
The NVX’s VC Series Subwoofers can make you blow away. The VCW has been engineered to the highest standards. The woven fiber-pressed paper cone and the custom High Roll Foam that is surrounded with nylon stitching help to reproduce a tight and very accurate bass.
This allows keeping the cone distortion to a minimum even when it is at the highest volume levels. The other great components in the design of these subs are the large dual 3” High-Temperature Aluminum voice coils and the triple stacked motor structure. With all of these, the NVX VCW subwoofer will give you better sound and neater build quality, than most subs that cost almost twice as much.
- The huge magnet and the cone and surround are really thick and beefy, that allows tons of deep bass and more throw.
- 850 - 1000 Watts RMS: This sub can handle some serious power at 4 ohms
- 3-Dimensional Die Cast Aluminum Basket designed not to interfere with the magnetic energy of the voice coil Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil
- Your bass will be so deep and strong.
- It is so powerful that you will see your windshield and everything inside your car shake and rattle.
- Comes in nice and sturdy design.
- It’s a great bang for your buck.
- Tend to smell like burning overtime
Make sure to check out all the details of wattage for the subs and your car to make sure they run to perfection. If necessary confirm it. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. Unfortunately, because of this, there were some unhappy customers, as the subs had not worked as they expected.
DS18 EXL-B15.2D Extremely Loud 15-Inch 3000 Watts Competition Subwoofer with Power Dual Voice Coil 2-Ohms
(Image source: www.amazon.com)
The DS18 EXL was engineered and designed in the US and are the top of the line subwoofers in the market. In order to perfect their look, power, and versatility, they went through copious amounts of R&D. These subs cannot be compared in sophistication, beauty, and precision.
The EXL line was able to perfect thanks to the demands of the costumes, which result in months of relentless tests and experiments. It can be said that this sub is the product of non-stop innovating attitude and hard work. This is why the DS18 Extremely Loud is a proud member of CEA, IASCA, MERA, and SEMA. This is a sub that you will love and be catch by all experience.
- The bass is very nice and crisp the highs are very nice that makes this speaker built to be durable.
- It has been said that this sub is strong and pushes the air outside and inside the vehicle.
- With a 3000 watts max and 18000 watts RMS, will make any car to break apart.
- Your bass will be so strong because this sub is a beast!
- If you push it over 1500, it might blow up.
- Some tend to max out quickly.
- After 1-2 months, it is popping wattage according to some users.
After reviewing this product, which can we call the declared winner? After all the research, the reviews, the pros and cons, it is fair to say that Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers are the ones who are ranked the best for quality and sound. Rockford’s Fosgate is better at putting their product together than some companies, like PYLE. The deep bass sound is almost at the same level than the NVX. Rockford Subwoofers can be professional installed or you can install them by adding them to boxes, in a way that they fit completely in your vehicle. Also, Rockford’s 15-inch Subwoofers are the great choice for most any vehicle. They will give you an amazing sound, without losing too much space.
With all these advantages, you will be on the right track to be able to hear great music in your vehicle. Nevertheless, don’t underestimate the install manuals or guidelines of these subs. The last word is yours regarding what you need in your vehicle and which is the perfect subwoofer for you. It is very important that you make a list not only of what you need but also, what you can spend before you start shopping around for a subwoofer. Let this article be your guide to finding the perfect subwoofer for your car.