Choosing The Best Car Wax For Black Cars
Cars are status symbols. The brand, model, and its current condition can actually say a lot about the kind of lifestyle we have. Even the color of your car can give a person a peek into your personality. Some people prefer black cars as black is often associated with class, sophistication, and elegance. Keeping your exteriors polished and blemish-free is important so it is crucial to know which product in the market is the best car wax for black cars.
But owning a black car is definitely different from properly maintaining one. Even though black is one of those colors that seem low maintenance, it really isn’t. To maintain the level of class that you’d like to exude when you’re inside your car, you must know the important measures to keep your car in its best possible shape. Regular wash and dry isn’t enough as your car’s surface also needs protection from harmful factors that may permanently damage it.
It is crucial to make sure that the exteriors of your car are exceptionally shiny and blemish-free because this is one of those things that people will see immediately. This must also be the first thing that drawn you into buying your car – the gloss, the shine, the symbol of luxury. Maintaining your paint job will speak volumes about how you value your property and this will also affect people’s impressions of you.
** Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews by click in "Reviews" column, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.com.
Why Is There A Need To Use Specific Car Wax For Black Cars?
We’ve all heard the saying, “image is everything”. It’s no different when it comes to cars. With black and dark-colored surfaces, it is so easy to see light-colored streaks or marks. Wax for black cars was specifically created to avoid this as some waxes can leave a powdery residue on your car’s surface. Some waxes can also be abrasive to any surface, and this will be more visible in dark-colored cars. It is important to use a car wax that matches your car’s color to avoid discoloration. The main purpose of waxing, after all, is to return the natural color of your car while giving it a brilliant shine.
There is also a specific type of wax that can be used for your car’s trim. These areas are often made from black rubber and plastic, so they also get easily damaged especially when regularly exposed to harsh outdoor elements. There are great products specifically formulated to nourish black trims as well as rubber and plastic surfaces.
Do We Really Need To Wax Our Cars?
Yes. Aside from regularly washing and cleaning our cars, it is quite important to wax the surface afterwards. Waxing adds an extra layer of protection against a number of factors and removes blemishes that can be easily seen on black and dark-colored surfaces.
Most waxes also have restorative properties that can revive old and faded surfaces, allowing it to regain its original condition. This is especially important for black cars as this helps in achieving a sleek and elegant look enough to make a statement. Black car waxes also have a special composition that allows your car to get a great-looking gloss and reflective surface, giving your car an excellent look at all times.
What Should We Look For When Buying Car Wax For Black Cars?
There are a number of factors to look out for when choosing the best wax for black cars. The first important thing you have to consider is your car’s paint job. Make sure you are aware of its finish or coating as different car wax brands may produce different results depending on the current condition of your car’s paint job.
Also, keep in mind that car waxes are made in specific colors and hues. Most of these car waxes also help eliminate scratches and blemishes by completely covering them. It is important to use the same color of wax to help you fully eliminate these unwanted marks. A different hue might worsen the blemishes and might even add to your expenses.
Weather conditions in your area should also play a significant role in your decision. Say your car is regularly exposed to UV rays; make sure you buy a car wax that can help you lessen sun damage to the coating. There are also waxes that prevent oil, grease, and even water from taking a toll on your car’s paint job.
You must also consider the age of your car. Cars that still have a good finish can be waxed using the spray type. As the surface is still new, you don’t really need extensive or deep protection. Not much can actually be done to improve the condition of newer cars. For older cars or those with oxidized and grimy surfaces, it would be advisable to use a liquid wax that has great cleaning properties.
Other factors that will help narrow down your choices for the best car wax for black cars are as follows:
- Customers satisfaction ratings
- Ingredients or chemicals used
What Are The Types Of Car Wax Available In The Market?
This kind of wax comes from the “tree of life” also known as Copernicia Cerifera. It is a type of natural wax that’s one of the purest and most transparent waxes available. Many people prefer Carnauba wax because of the three-dimensional shine it provides. It is best for dark-colored cars and has a nice water-beading finish. It can also absorb the acidity of rain while effectively hiding blemishes such as paint swirls.
On the downside, Carnauba wax is not as durable as other types of waxes. Its effects may only last a short period of time ranging from a month to 60 days. Furthermore, changes in temperature can affect the effectiveness of Carnauba wax. Some have reported streaks after application under humid conditions.
But despite having these limitations, Carnauba wax still continues to be a popular product in the world of car care. It may be less durable compared to more modern products, but no one can compete with how great it transforms a car’s surface, and how easily it can be applied and removed.
Clear Nanotechnology Polymer Coatings
Basically, these coatings are highly resistant to damaging components such as detergent, chemicals, acid, and hard minerals. This type of polymer coating also doubles as a sealant that can be easily applied and wiped off. It also adds an efficient layer of protection to your car’s surface that’s light and aesthetically pleasing.
Synthetic Car Creams and Liquids
Synthetic waxes are often made from acrylic polymers which mean they are highly durable allowing their effects to last for longer periods of time. The best quality synthetic waxes last around 6 to 9 months and can both be applied and wiped off easily. Although these waxes seem to be quite efficient, some do not seem to give a rich and deep shine that most car owners are looking for. These are not great to use for black cars as silvery streaks and swirls may be visible under direct sunlight.
Which Is The Best To Use: Liquid, Paste, Or Spray Wax?
Both liquid and paste wax are great to use on any car surface, but the two also have advantages and disadvantages. Spray waxes on the other hand are great if you are pressed for time and you need something that will dry easily. The downside about spray wax is that they are not that reliable for cleaning and offer little protection against various weather conditions. They are only advisable for cars with newer finishes and those that are frequently washed and waxed.
Paste wax is great especially if you want to control the amount you put on your car. It is also convenient if you will do the waxing by hand. Because a little amount goes a long way, paste wax lasts longer, allowing you to save a little. It also usually dries to a haze in about 30 seconds after application.
Liquid wax is also easy to apply but may be bit difficult to spread out evenly and buff out. If you need something that’s good for cleaning and will give your surface a nice gloss, then liquid is the way to go. This may take a little longer to dry to a haze, taking up to a minute compared to that of paste.
If you want to go for a deeper and richer shine, go with paste. If you want a durable thin coat, then choose liquid paste. At the end of it all, it will still boil down to what’s most convenient for you.
Useful Waxing Tips Before Getting Started
- Make sure to wash and dry your car thoroughly before waxing your car.
- Never wax your car under direct sunlight. If your car’s surface is hot to the touch, it will be more prone to scratching because the heat will soften your car’s paint.
- Do not use synthetic fabrics or old rags as these may have components that may scratch your car’s surface or add more dirt to it. Use right applicators and cloths such as applicator pads and microfiber.
- It is also important to test your wax on a part of your car that’s not easily seen. This will help you see if the product is reliable and effective to use. This will save you a whole lot of time and effort and will help you sort the effective products from the less effective ones.
Top 7 Best Car Wax For Black Cars
Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
This Premium Black wax Kit in Jet Black by Turtle Wax is a color-correcting wax that instantly restores dull trims to its original state and rich color. It can also safely restore rubber and plastic surfaces, correcting its faded color while giving the surface long-lasting shine.
The product is made from acrylic polymer and is not silicone-based. Once applied, the wax deeply protects and nourishes the trim, allowing it to endure regular wear and tear for a long period of time. The kit comes in an 8 oz. bottle with plastic gloves and an applicator.
- The product doesn’t just restore faded trim color, it also protects the surface of your car from further discoloration and fading.
- It can restore super greyed-out trims to its natural jet black color.
- It can also hide scratches on your car’s trim.
- It is very quick and easy to apply.
- It also works for black car interiors.
- Gives best results for surfaces with matte and rough finish.
- Gives year-long protection so there’s no need to apply regularly.
- The wax doesn’t work well on surfaces with clear coating.
- The wax is in liquid form so it could be a little bit messy to use.
- It will be a bit streaky upon first application.
- You might have to apply multiple coats to get desired results.
Turtle Wax is a well-known company when it comes to car care and maintenance products. When we hear this brand, we immediately have pretty high expectations from the products they deliver to the market.
Their Premium Trim Coating Kit does not disappoint at all. Because the wax is made from acrylic polymer, it will last 4x longer compared to silicone-based products.
If you want to revive your car trim’s deep black tint without having to worry about how long it would last, this is a product that’s definitely something to try.
Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax Paste - 7 oz
The Meguiar’s Black Wax Paste is a specially-formulated product that is best for black and dark-colored surfaces. The package comes with an applicator, making it easy to use and apply. Made from synthetic polymers, the product can give your car outstanding levels of gloss and shine while giving it long-lasting protection for months up to a year.
- The product can be easily applied by hand or using a dual-action polisher.
- It doesn’t leave swirl marks when applied.
- Because of the great shine it provides, you will be able to achieve a mirror-like finish.
- The wax can protect your car’s surface for up to year.
- It can also hide light scratches and swirl marks that are visible on your car’s surface.
- Getting the wax off the car may take time. Using a terry cloth or microfiber cloth is advised for best results.
Meguiar’s is another trusted brand in car care products. Many people are satisfied with the results of all their product lines, especially their waxes. The great thing about Meguiar’s Black Wax Paste is that it really does give your car’s surface a mirror-like reflection. Not only that, you are sure that your car will be protected for a very long time as the wax is specially formulated to protect black and dark-colored surfaces. There is no reason not to be pleased when a product delivers excellent results for a price that’s really easy on the pocket.
Turtle Wax T-374KTR Color Magic Car Polish, Black - 16 oz
The Color Magic Car Polish guarantees users a quick solution for eliminating scratches and swirl marks while giving your car’s surface exceptional shine and protection. Because this product is made from a blend of special dyes and pigments, it does not only promise to polish your car’s surface, it also guarantees to fill in light scratches that could ruin the overall look of your car.
Because Turtle Wax uses a color match system for their polishes, this product has the ability to rejuvenate faded color giving your car a like-new appearance. The product also comes with a ChipStik which is best for hiding deeper scratches and stone chips. It comes in variants of white, silver, red, and blue to name a few.
- This is a dual purpose polish that also effectively eliminates imperfections.
- This polish is also best for old and faded surfaces that need lots of attention.
- It enhances car surface colors, bringing it back to its showroom condition.
- Does not really eliminate scratches and chips but fills and hides them instead.
- The product needs to be sealed with wax to ensure long-lasting protection.
- It is not good for removing oxidation or rust.
If your car’s surface needs a good amount of TLC, then this product is an affordable alternative to getting your car professionally re-painted. Because this polish also makes use of a proprietary color match system, you will be sure that the polish will not discolor or damage your car’s surface.
Surf City Garage 922 Black Edge Carnauba Wax, 16 oz
This Black Edge Carnauba Wax from Surf City is specially-formulated for black and dark cars. The wax itself comes in a grey paste that gives any dark-colored surface the best possible shine. It is polymer-based so it will give your car longer-lasting shine and protection.
The product also contains special pigments that can also eliminate light scratches and swirl marks. After application, it will leave your car with a glossy and wet finish, while also giving your paint extra protection from the sun.
- It gives a deep shine that looks brand new.
- The wax also serves as a sacrificial layer against the outside elements, especially the sun.
- It is easy to apply and dries quickly.
- The wax can be easily buffed off using a microfiber towel.
- Can also be used on trims and will not leave undesirable marks on the plastic or rubber surface.
- Can remove the usual blemishes found on a car’s surface.
- It does not leave a chalky or powdery residue.
- Its grey color may be a cause for concern for customers who are very specific when it comes to using wax for black cars.
- It may not dry black so it may not be reliable for cars with jet or deep black surfaces.
Not all car waxes and polishes can claim sun protection. If you live in an area where your car is often exposed to different kinds of weather, especially extreme heat, then this product is something that you should try. It does have the same functions as other car waxes from other brands, but the added protection that addresses a specific concern is something that should draw you in. Coming from a small company, they sure are delivering products that are slowly making big waves in the car care industry.
On the other hand, despite its many success stories, some are a bit concerned on its effectiveness as a black car wax since the wax itself is not black in color and may leave undesirable marks upon drying.
Chemical Guys GAP_619_16 Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Color Enhance (16 oz)
The Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Color Enhancer is a product of 3 years of research by a company called Chemical Guys based in Thailand. Research was done in partnership with the company’s counterparts in the USA. The product was specifically created to withstand the harsh and humid weather conditions in Thailand. It was also created to enhance the color of any car’s surface to reach maximum vibrancy and brightness. The product is made from a fully synthetic nano blended formulation that contains high levels of gloss enhancers and bi-blend technology that leaves the surface an exceptionally slick finish.
- The product can be easily applied by hand or machine.
- It leaves the car with a smooth, sharp, and wet finish.
- The product is equipped with anti-static properties.
- It adds a layer of protection against harsh weather elements.
- It also effectively enhances car color and protects it from external factors caused by pollution, industrial fallout, and the like.
- It is a 2-in-1 gloss enhancer and sealant.
- Masks light scratches and swirl marks.
- The product is quite expensive compared to other products.
- It does not remove scratches and swirl marks completely. It only lightens them to become less visible.
If you’re looking for a premium product that promises to give superb results, then this is a product that you can give a shot. It’s was carefully formulated to give results that make your car visually stunning while protecting it from damaging external factors.
Although this is a product that comes from a company that is not that well known in the car care industry, they claim promising results that is worth seeing for yourself, especially if you have a couple of bucks to spare.
Mothers 06112 Back-to-Black Plastic and Trim Restorer - 12 oz
The Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer from Mothers is a simple and uncomplicated product that cleans and restores trims and plastic surfaces to brand-new condition. It effectively nourishes dried out, oxidized, and weathered surfaces using a plastic restorative agent. It is best used with Mother’s applicator pad for easy application.
- It doesn’t just have polishing and restorative properties, but it also has cleaning properties best for surfaces that are regularly exposed to dirt.
- It can be used for any colored car.
- The product is stronger as a protectant so it can help salvage trims and plastic surfaces that are dried and cracked.
- After application, the finished product can last for a while even after a number of car washes.
- It can definitely turn old and worn out plastic look like new.
- It can be super slippery after application, so make sure you allow it to dry well to avoid accidents.
- The product can bleed onto your paint and may be a bit difficult to remove.
- The product can leave a gum-like film on the surface that is a bit greasy when rubbed off.
If you’ve already given up on reviving the plastic parts and trims of your vehicle, then you still haven’t tried Mother’s Back to Black Plastic Trim Restorer. It goes beyond what a regular protectant does and hydrates dried and cracked up plastic, bringing back a brand-new finish. The magic here is that it can revive surfaces that are absolutely years old. You can definitely count on a brand like Mother’s to deliver a product that’s effective, affordable, and unpretentious. It delivers on all its promises.
Black Magic 120025 2-in-1 Fast Wax Spray, 16 oz
This Wax Spray is a dual purpose product that cleans and polishes at the same time. It also has a rich formulation that conditions and revives any surface. Aside from that, the special conditioning formula helps in enhancing the look of your car’s exterior while bringing back your car surface’s natural color. It also gives your car a water beading finish that can be safely used for different types of vehicles.
- It easily removes oxidation.
- The product can be used on any colored surface, even clear coats.
- It can be easily applied using a microfiber towel.
- It can take care of minor blemishes and scratches.
- It can be effectively used to remove stains.
- It doesn’t visibly resolve scratches but only lightens them.
Not all waxes promise to clean your car’s surface as well. In most cases, you will have to use another product to remove stubborn dirt. With the Black Magic 2-in-1 Fast Wax Spray, you will definitely save lots of time in cleaning and protecting your car’s surface. Not only does it remove regular dirt, it can also remedy surfaces with oxidation. You can even use it on any surface not limited to cars.
Although this is not the best product if you’re looking for something to eliminate scratches and swirl marks, it is pretty effective and delivers what is says it will do. You won’t be disappointed.