Reviews Non-Contact Voltage Tester: Best Way to Choose the Best One
The non-contact voltage tester is the cheapest and quickest way used to check on voltage. It is also referred to as pens, sticks, voltage wands or ‘power sniffers.' The voltage pens are very portable as you can clip them on a shirt pocket, just like a normal writing pen. They buzz or glow when they detect voltage either through exposed conducting parts or insulation. These amplified electronic testers do not require direct metallic contact with the circuit.
** Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews by click in "Reviews" column, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.com.
What is Non-Contact Voltage Tester
The voltage wands are designed for non-contact, lie-not live detection of voltage on electrical circuits in commercial buildings, industrial or residential. For it to function perfectly, ensure that your voltage tester is rated appropriately for the voltage level and the electrical safety category in which it will be used in. Minor contact with live electrical conductors is not an issue. However, safety precautions should be put into practice when using the voltage pen. Appropriate PPE dressing is also required when conducting voltage tests.
- For you to get safe and reliable readings, you need to get the right voltage pen for your work environment. How do you ensure this?
- You have to verify that your pen is in good working condition before using it. Use your pen to test a known circuit, before and after testing the unknown circuit. If you doubt whether the circuit is live or dead, make sure you use an additional method to clear the doubts. However, some voltage testers like the updated FLUKE 1 AC II have an inbuilt self-test function to verify is the circuit is truly operational.
- Check to see if your voltage pen is properly rated for the environment you are going to work in, and that it falls within the voltage range in question. For industrial environments, you will mostly get CAT III or CAT IV. However, not all pens are safety rated, neither are they all sensitive enough. This is because some can read smaller levels, while others will not detect at all. Not all testers function the same.
- Remember that placing the device near a live conductor will create a capacitive voltage divider. This comprises of parasitic capacitance between the pen and the conductor, and also between the pen and the ground- which is through the user's body. The presence of voltage will only be indicated if the pen detects that current is flowing through the divider. To get best results, ensure that you hold the voltage pen by the body. Always keep your fingers away from the tip of the pen.
They can be used on series connected strings of mini Christmas lights. Here, they detect the bulb that has failed and in turn failed the circuit. This might cause the set or a part of it to not light. Point the tip of the pen at the tip of every pen to know if it is at least connected to one side. The one that does not register is the one past the bulb that has failed.
They can also be used in places where the circuit is not flowing because voltage pens are designed to detect a change in electric fields.
Sadly, this pen cannot detect voltage inside a fortified cable. They also cannot detect a DC voltage because DC currents do not pass through capacitors.
Benefits Of A Non-Contact Voltage Tester
- Using the non- contact pen is safer and quick
- Prevents the user from putting apart the whole appliance to test voltage
- Prevents the user from potential shock
- Does not involve you sticking lead conductors up a socket
- It is quite affordable
Top 5 Best Non-Contact Voltage Tester with Reviews in Market
Medog Vt1502 Non-Contact Voltage Tester
This pocket- sized pen only weighs 4 ounces and is designed to look like a pen. It measures low- voltage capacities and is convenient to use at home or around the office. This pen detects steady state electrostatic fields produced by AC voltage through insulation. This device is constructed with polycarbonate plastic resin which makes it durable. It features a convenient pocket clip and is lightweight. If the voltage is present, the pen round top tip will glow red, and the pen itself will beep. It has a built-in LED light to brighten up any working area. It also features an auto power-off to save and extend battery life.
The pen has a sensitivity range of 90 – 1000V AC and is standard rated 1 AC III. The battery can extend up to 6 hours straight when working.
- Pocket- sized and lightweight, convenient for carrying around wherever and whenever.
- Durable, made out of high-quality material.
- No cons, or negative reviews about this product.
Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester
Apart from telling you where there is the presence of voltage, it also tells the user if the voltage is high or low. It can test wall sockets, junction boxes, circuit breakers, fuses and AC cables, among other works. The inbuilt LED light acts as an emergency flashlight to illuminate any working area. This Neotech product will indicate if the battery is low, and has an auto power off feature that will help in saving the battery power.
This voltage detector has a sensitivity range of 12-1000V AC and is rated CE CAT III 600V RoHS. It is highly recommended to use at home in testing appliances, but also for those who have related hobbies and DIYs.
- Multifunctional in that it can be used to illuminate a working area, detect circuit breaks and lighting fixtures.
- Very lightweight weighs 0.6 ounces.
- It beeps faster when you get closer to a source of voltage.
- Has no warranty.
Aidbucks PM8908C Non-Contact Voltage Tester
This pen has a sensitivity range of 12 – 1000V AC and is rated CE CAT III 600V RoHS. It is designed to indicate low voltage levels and standard voltage. It is suitable to use around the house and commercially. The pen will either glow yellow or red depending on the closeness of a socket, an outlet or a power cable when a voltage is present. A bright green LED light shows that the tester is operational. This device also features a flashlight on the top and an auto power off.
- Has no on/off switch so that you do not test voltage not knowing that your device is off.
- Indicates if the voltage is high or low.
- Easy to use.
- It is very sensitive to static electricity so that it indicated even from a doorknob, a coffee mug.
INTEY Non-Contact Voltage Tester
The INTEY made this voltage detector with professionalism in mind. It is safe and accurate. This device is recommended for homeowners, but more so for industrial use where service, safety, electricians, and maintenance personnel can use it.
This pen features a low battery indicator, a LED flashlight for when you are working in darker areas, an auto power off, it buzzes with the presence of voltage and even more interesting, has an NCV detection designed by Auto Sense.
Made out of ABS plastic, this pen weighs 45g, making it easier to carry. Has a test voltage range of 90-1000V AC with a CE CAT II 1000V.
- Very affordable.
- Has a warranty.
- Comes with a user manual that is very directive and has good instructions.
- Very safe and accurate.
- No cons, or negative reviews about this product.
LIMITED TIME SALE Voltage Tester Pen Non-Contact
A product of the Epsilont Company, it detects AC voltage within the 12- 1000V range. It detects voltages in the three levels, low, moderate and high, but still within the voltage range. This pen also indicates low and high voltage levels.
Weighing 8 ounces, this device is characterized to be used in vast environments. It can be used at home and also commercially, and by anyone who owns any electrical appliance including an irrigation system.
This one has a special feature of the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter that is designed from preventing you from getting an electric shock if you touch something live like a naked wire. It is costly as compared to other pens; as it offers other important features that the others lack.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with a 30-day free risk trial where you will be refunded if you do not like the product, but only within 30 days of purchase.
- It is highly sensitive and beeps even with an accidental gentle tap, as long as it is on.
- The plastic sensing tip is so fragile that it breaks when it falls.
The Neoteck tester would be appropriate for the DIYer and household tasks. It is lightweight and affordable and can detect even the lowest of voltages provided it has a range of 12-1000V AC.
The INTEY voltage pen is the perfect tool for everyone interested in this tool. It does not even have negative reviews meaning that it does not disappoint at all. Furthermore, it is cheaper and easy to use and also very accurate. What's more? It also comes with a warranty and a very directive user manual. The only worry is the 90-1000V AC range that seems to be a little too high when you compare it to the rest. This is highly recommended for industrial and commercial use.
Depending on the intended use and the work environment that the user is to work under, always choose the perfect tool for your work.