What You Need To Know Before Replacing Your Windshield Wiper Blades
On average, car owners replace their windshield wiper blades every three years. While this may not sound too shocking, it is actually quite hazardous. Experts recommend that drivers replace their wiper blades every six months to one year. However, some suggest making the replacement whenever there are signs indicating that your old blades need to go. In various climates, this can mean that you need to replace them more frequently than every six months. Having worn, ineffective windshield wiper blades can quickly lead to scary or even dangerous situations.
If you are like the average driver, you can probably relate to the following situation: After trying to clean your windshield on a sunny day, you become aware that the time has come to replace your wiper blades. However, soon after this thought pops into your head, the task slips off of your to-do list. Then one day, you start driving somewhere when a heavy rain or snow shower strikes. You suddenly remember that you need to buy replacement blades, but it’s now too late.
Whether you’ve found yourself in the above situation once (or many times), you don’t have to end up in it again. Maintaining your windshield wiper blades is just as important as maintenance on any other part of your car. Before rushing out to the store to buy replacements, check out these tips on proper wiper blade care.
When To Replace
As stated earlier, the appropriate time to replace your windshield wiper blades can range from only a few months to one year. A number of variables contribute to how long you can go in-between replacements. For example, if you are using less durable wiper blades and you live in a climate that experiences frequent, heavy rain or snow, you will have very little time in between replacements. However, if you opt to use high-quality wiper blades in an area that sees less extreme weather, you will likely be able to make it a full year before making a replacement.
Due to the number of variables that can cause wiper blades to wear down, it is important to be aware of the key signs of deterioration. If you notice any of the following, it is time to replace your windshield wiper blades:
- Loud Noises When In Use: If you begin to hear chattering or other new and unusual noises from your windshield wipers, they may require replacement. If the wipers are secured properly, and it has been more than six months since your last replacement, it is time to buy new wiper blades.
- Streaking or smearing: This is the top indication that your wiper blades must be replaced as soon as possible. When wiper blades begin to break down, they are unable to clear rain, snow, and other debris as quickly as they used to. In order to avoid a dangerous situation in the future, replace your blades at the first signs of streaking. Do not wait until you are unable to see out of your windshield!
How To Select Quality Wiper Blades
If you aren’t an experienced windshield wiper blade expert, it can feel a bit daunting when trying to select the proper replacement. There are dozens of brands, styles, and sizes. How can you be sure that you are choosing the right one for your car? Before making the trip to the store, do plenty of research. Look up what sizes are appropriate for your car’s specifications. Write down the measurement of each blade so that there is no chance of getting the wrong size.
Additionally, it is essential to brands and varieties of wiper blades to fit your needs. If you live in a climate that experiences extreme weather, the wiper blades you select should be able to hold up well in that weather. Also, some types of replacement blades will work better for one time of the year over another. If your area is prone to snow and ice in the winter months, it makes sense to buy wiper blades that are specifically designed for those conditions.
Factors To Consider Before Buying
After completing your research, you will be well-informed, but you’ll need to make a few decisions. When it comes to windshield wipers, one size definitely does not fit all. Here are a few things to consider before making your purchase:
- Climate: Although you may have considered this while researching windshield wiper blades, you will want to be sure that you are thinking about the upcoming season when buying replacements. This will help make driving through inclement weather an easier and safer experience.
- Budget: Pricing for windshield wiper blades can range from incredibly inexpensive to premium. Consider what you are willing to spend on a regular basis to replace your wipers. When you decide on a regular amount to set aside for your wiper blades, you will be more likely to replace them as often as you should.
- Size: Do not rely on store associates or booklets to help you find the size you need. This information will sometimes not be available in stores, which can cause unnecessary frustration. Come prepared with the research that you did prior to arriving at the store.
- Rear Wiper Blades: When most people think of replacing their windshield wiper blades, they most often think of just the front blades. If you have a wiper blade on the back windshield, be sure to also purchase a replacement.
You can see the video bellow to learn how to replace your windshield wiper blades
Replacing your windshield wiper blades on a regular basis is essential to the safety of you and your family. While it can be tempting to push this piece of car maintenance off of your to-do list, it is a must to avoid preventable danger. Before venturing out to the store, do your research and make decisions on the key considerations. Set regular reminders for yourself to replace your wiper blades, and don’t ignore signs of deterioration such as streaking or chattering. Following these steps will ensure a clear and safe drive, even in the harshest conditions.